Explore Jakarta with us
Jakarta, the capital of Indonesia, offers business travellers and tourists alike a magical experience that is hard to beat anywhere else on Earth. At first glance it may appear chaotic and confusing but on a closer look it is a capital that is in constant transition and it has a living and beating heart that pumps life into the city 24 hours a day.
Jakarta offers excellent quality hotels and some exceptional restaurants. It's a foodies delight with 5 star fine dining rubbing shoulders with some exceptional street food. Bars and restaurants can meet the highest - and lowest - levels found anywhere in the world. Whatever your taste in entertainment you'll find it in this tropical hub.
Jakarta is also a shoppers paradise with markets spread out across the region - Jakarta is a number of towns and neighbourhoods rather than a city in its own rights - plus you'll find the latest brand name shopping is some of the most modern shopping malls in Asia.
Jakarta is made up of 6 main regions and you can restrict your searching and browsing to any of these regions by clicking on the select location option. A menu will appear at the top of the screen and if you click directly on the little green arrows the regions of Jakarta will appear and you can select your preferred region.
The 6 main regions of Jakarta are:
- Central Jakarta (Jakarta Pusat). This city within a city is the political and administrative hub of Jakarta. You'll find many large parks and historic Dutch colonial style buildings. It's also here that many major hotels are found.
- West Jakarta (Jakarta Barat). This region is dominated by small industrial and commercial areas. Here you will find the Chinatown region. Parts of Jakarta old town also stretch into West Jakarta.
- South Jakarta (Jakarta Selatan). The affluent area of Jakarta with many new and modern upmarket shopping malls. It's the area to head for if you love shopping.
- East Jakarta (Jakarta Timur). The region of Jakarta that is home to it's heavy industry. You'll probably head to this region if you are island hoping as Halim Perdanakusuma Airport is based here.
- North Jakarta (Jakarta Utara).The region that stretches along the northern coast of Jakarta. It contains the port and ferry terminals. It also has the major tourist coastal resorts in it including Ancol Dreamland - the largest integrated tourist facility in South East Asia. The region contains a number of historic and wildlife sites.
- Thousand Islands (Kepulauan Seribu). Not actually 1,000 islands but 105 small island located in the Java Sea. It's a region with high nature conservation value and has also been developed for tourism with water-sports such as diving and wind-surfing dominating.
Where-ever you go in Jakarta you will get new experiences and discover new sights and sounds. It a place that needs to be visited to be believed.